Sunday, May 29, 2011

Vertigo (1958)

directed by Alfred Hitckcock
starring James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes


Hitchcock's Masterpiece!, the DVD box proclaims. I've always heard that this film was the director's best, if not one of the best movies of all time. But while Vertigo was good, I can't say I enjoyed it more than North by Northwest or even Rear Window.

The most interesting aspect of the movie is the disturbing undercurrent - unlike many other Hitchcocks, there isn't a happy ending. The protagonist's motivations and actions grow more and more questionable as the film progresses. The poor character of Midge appears only, apparently, to further the theme that nobody gets their happy ending.

I hadn't been spoiled for this movie, so the twist was a genuine surprise. I loved it; maybe because it caught me off guard, maybe because embraced the female character's perspective. Speaking of which - the abusive undercurrent provided the most disturbing moments in a movie that felt entirely off-kilter. "If I let you change me, will that do it? If I do what you tell me, will you love me?" And his recurring cry, as he demanded that she change everything about herself: "It can't possibly matter to you." That, more than any murder, made me sick.

I almost expected the film to follow the violent conclusion it hinted at in the final moments - but alas, the movie is not quite as brave as the book. Still, it is a memorable tragedy, even if it remains less engrossing or iconic than other Hitchcock films.

Next up: Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides, Charade, Dial M for Murder, Hamlet

No comments:

Post a Comment