Thursday, June 9, 2011

X-Men (2000)

 

directed by Brian Singer
starring Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellan

In lieu of driving to the theater to watch X-Men: First Class again, I decided to finally pull the original out of my instant queue. I've only seen bits and pieces of the original movies on television - except for the third one, the only one I've seen in whole. (I know, I know, it's a travesty.) After watching the much-praised first one, I can say: (1) Yes, I see why this started the Comic Book Madness (2) Yes, it is quite a good movie (3) But, First Class is definitely better. Sorry. It isn't just James McAvoy, I promise. (...it's also Michael Fassbender.)

(Just kidding.)

X-Men does have Gandalf Ian McKellan and Captain Picard Patrick Stewart going for it, which allows for multiple showdowns of Shakespearian-level performance. My favorite scenes were their conversations, especially the chess match at the end. Such classy superpeople we have here. Hugh Jackman also delivered as the film's designated protagonist. No one else really stood out, though. Anna Paquin did a good job as Rogue, but then I realized that it was Anna Paquin, and then I couldn't really focus on her anymore. (Sorry, True Blood people, not a fan of SOOKEH.) Jean and Cyclops provided two uninteresting ends of a love triangle, while Halle Berry can't be faulted for Storm's lack of development.While I was entertained and occassionally intrigued by the main cast, I never felt like I really knew any of the characters apart from Wolverine and Rogue. Also, did Rebecca Romjin's Mystique speak at all?

I've heard that X2 is the best film in the trilogy, so I'm looking forward to that. In many ways, X-Men felt like an introduction. Still, made before the days of endless threequels, it could have worked as a memorable stand-alone action film. It establishes an interesting world, one where there is plenty of potential for characters and powers, and conflict exists both internally within the mutant community and with the less-advanced humans. The best parts for me were the political tensions and the implied history of the older mutants - which, perhaps, explains why my preference remains with the prequel. Either way, if only for the promise of additional adventures, I'm glad that X-Men was there to lead the way for superhero movies.

Coming Next: Saving Private Ryan, Agora, Hamlet, A Clockwork Orange

No comments:

Post a Comment